Monday, July 28, 2008

Update on Mega Doosie....

First up, it's sad and pitiful that i haven't had time to vomit forth the plethora of fun and ditties that have overtaken my summer. I wish I could linger here longer and regurgitate the details because it really has been a wicked fun summer with the kids. I am sad it is almost over.
Maybe on a snowy day in January I will reflect and post pictures of my special holiday but in the meantime I have to do a little self-therapy which is all about me venting over the worker dudes in my basement trying to jack up the house.
Yes, I promised a follow-up and if nothing else it is really about me requesting prayers that my house might be secured on solid ground. (In the biblical sense and the literal one as well.)
Today at the strike of 8:30 the truck full of qualified jackers showed up. The king jacker came to the door and tentatively extended his hand and greetings to the psycho, freaking homeowner best known as ME!
I promise that this "supervisor" looked to have been pulled from a uterus about 15 minutes ago. I believe he hasn't begun shaving. I almost felt compelled to pull him to my bosom and begin nursing him, he looked so YOUNG!
Yeah, that might be a graphic illustration, but SORRY...this child is going to supervise a mega expensive home renovation project. He is going to see that 19 holes get punched in and around my house with precision and skill.
I thought it best to just ask the babe how old he was,"sir, you look young to be in this business, what are you 15?"
"No ma'am, I am 19."
Giant sigh, now I know he is qualified to lift my house."So, how long have you been doing this?"
"5 years."
YEA!! Now, I feel much better. At the age of 15, one simple year older then my son, he began training to jack up houses.
I believe I need a drink. Not a whimpy one, a serious one with lots of the liquor that makes things happy and fuzzy and not scary anymore.
So, I begin to shrug off all the red flags and blaring sirens alerting me that this is not good and try to ask more intelligent questions regarding the 3 day event.
"Do you think we will really be able to push my fireplace back into place?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"I am pretty worried about this..."
"Why are you worried?" King jacker asks with his best concerned face.
"I really don't want more damage done as a result of the work that you are doing. You don't think you will damage my draining around the house, do you?"
"I don't think so."
"How exactly are you going to get the fireplace back into it's place?"
"We will dig a tunnel and crawl under it and put the jacks under that."
"This whole thing does not sound very safe."
Him smiling, no response.
"Well, okay....anything I need to do?"(besides call every prayer chain in the tri-state region and petition the Lord for His securing of my home, and safety for these workers.)
"No, I think we are good."
I know it was not nice for me to immediately call the company and ask about the King's credentials but I had to know. Is this boy really going to know how to do this job? We went with this company because they guarantee their work and they have been in the business for over 30 years. So, I asked the lady to talk me off the ledge and she kindly promised me that the King is one of the best they have. His dad is the Uber King and he has been training Jr. for this very day. He does know how to read the map and execute the job and I do not need to worry.
Wow, I feel better now or not.
I guess I can learn to like the sweet lulling sound of cement jacking and the air filling with a fine dust. If I just focus on the muted Spanish lyrics on the radio then it will give me the illusion that I am in a foreign Catina. Yeah, I am sure that will do the trick. So, pass me another Corona and we'll talk in the morrow as I try to work this panic attack off the old fashioned way.

No comments: