Saturday, November 8, 2008

Internship fun

Next week we meet the different facilities that offer internships for our clinicals that start in April. So, I have to put together my resume and spiff up my pointy shoes and get ready to do some glad handing!
This little placement fair will be the first exposure we as a class have to potential facilities we can serve for our internship. Did I mention we need 500 clinical hours to graduate?
I got panicked this week. Thought I was going to have a mini anxiety attack thinking that I am going to be face to face with clients in less then 5 months. Doesn't this seem early? I am still so green! So inexperienced. So lame-o.
I asked my professor for a teacher-student conference. Thought they should give us some feedback about our readiness for the therapeutic environment. My professor laughed. He thought I needed to live in my anxiety, not worry so much and practice coping and soothing.
This seems cruel and hateful. Do they really want us to SUCK? Cause that is what I feel like I am being set up to do, SUCK!
There are multiple places for us to commit to serving for our internships. I could head to the jail and work with the various felons and criminals there. The word on the street is you always get your hours there. As opposed to some of the other private sector sites that have a tendency to cancel appointments and blow you off. The jail is always a sure thing.
We can work in a battered women's shelter, a place that works with grieving children and their parents, or even a church. I am really interested in stepping out of my familiar route and pressing into a place that is uncomfortable and yicky. I am considering one of the group situations that work with sexual offenders. This would not be pretty or anything that I would want to do long term but I think it would press me beyond my limits. I think I need that. If I am ever going to be exposed to that sort of thing, may as well be now.
Who knows where I will be placed. All I do know is I have to pull together my resume this weekend. How exciting is that? I wonder if I need to include something unique to qualify me to work with the "special" felon population. Do you think being married to an adult juvenile delinquent will qualify me?
He was the guy that tried to steal radar detectors out of police cars in high school. He and his friends used to roll smoke bombs into the fire station garage. They also trashed a golf course by driving the carts into the lake and four wheeling through most of the grounds. You know, once he started dating me, it all ended for him. Appears as if I have some experience with rehab so maybe I should include that in my resume, huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting started with internships can really overwhelm you with worries. You even sounded quite anxious in this post. Want to get ideas about resumes and internships? You might want to visit www.nuresume.com. An online community for students. Check it out!

Judi said...

Hi Sister.

I am in Omaha for a week of training. I brought my laptop and saw the "favorite" I saved so I could read your Authentic Life blog. You are always so funny. Glad you are enjoying school. Think of the difference you are going to make in peoples lives. You will be great girl.

Send me an email sometime.

Nebraska Blue and Blue

six300 said...

Brenda,

Sounds like your new educational persuits are taking off. Though your husband doesn't sound quite like the sex offenders that you are wanting to counsel, I'm sure your positive influence is quite applicable. Just make sure the statute of limitations has run out on all of his misdeeds prior to using them in your resume!

Later.