Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Big day!

Guess who is starting therapy today??
It's me! It's me.
Yeah, I will be the client today. I found out that the other counseling school in town works a trade off for the students. You can attend the other schools counseling center for $5 a session. I thought this would be a wise move for me. I believe the best way I can offer any support or encouragement for someone else is to first consider what business I need to attend to in my own life. Makes sense.
So today in the middle of the most hectic season ever I will take a time out and begin to unravel my soul to a stranger. A possible young student stranger. A therapist that is in training. fun, huh?
I have come to believe that I can learn something from everyone and anyone. Today I get the opportunity to live it out.
I don't really have time for therapy. I am trying to get out of town on Sunday morning for a week long trip with my husband. (This is his move to celebrate our 20th anniversary! I would never have picked December...but ???) I have a giant family history paper due before I leave. I am trying to get my Christmas crud purchased, put out, organized, wrapped, mailed, etc. This is kind of a nightmare. So, let me take a minute to blog about it!
I think this therapeutic window in my life is one that will eventually pay off ten fold. Won't it be helpful to realize all my nasty business before I begin trying to help others through theirs in just 4 months? I say YES.
In fact, the more I have opportunity to gaze into the world of my own upbringing, history and life, the more I am convinced this is beautiful. What a gift to have this window of exposure and revelation at the half way point in my life. I feel like it such the hand of God, gifting me this time to learn about myself and to make adjustments and tweaks and changes. None of this would be happening if I didn't choose to quit my job and head back to school. I know that God is pushing me to examine the pieces of me and see where He can have more room in my life. He is challenging me to lay it all before Him. I believe the therapy window is really the confession booth for me to say outloud what I have been holding to myself and allowing room to fester and manifest in ways that may not be so healthy or beneficial to me or my family.
I am looking forward to today with expectancy. I look forward today with readiness that this is all about sifting and combing through the pieces of me that need to be refined and reshaped and reconsidered.
I highly suspect this will not be a fun experience. From what I know, most growth opportunities are not all that fun. We will see! I can't wait to find out who my therapist is!
What does it say about me if I hope she is over the age of 22? See, I do have issues. I am already trying to control my session!! I need a lot of help!! This is going to be a long process.

No comments: