Thursday, May 8, 2008

It's spring and you know what that means....shorts and sleeveless tops are coming back in~! Yes, I love that! I am so psyched to expose my pasty legs and arms to the world. So excited in fact, I have been regularly trying to tighten my loose skin up by hitting the gym a little more regularly.

Gym life is interesting. If you have ever been a regular you know what I am talking about. People join clubs, gyms, athletic centers for a mirad of reasons and often the place you join explains why.

The "club" I work out now is not the typical gym. I have done the Bally's, Club LeFemme, Planet Fitness, Dales Athletic club...just to name a few. Each club has its own sort of environment/vibe, if you will. Not all gyms are created equal. I love to sweat. So, no matter what my size I have always been a gym rat. I love it.
In my young pre-children days I went to Bally's. It was mostly singles and it was high cardio/ big business. It was loud and fun. Then I had a couple of kids and gained some weight and didn't want to subject myself to all the tight tiny singles at Bally's.
I moved on. I felt safest at the all womens club. It was great from that aspect. No men, no judgement. Less self-loathing. I tried to believe that they would be able to care for my children during my one hour...but after hearing a child scream bloody murder through an entire class I decided we needed a change.
After the 3rd kid and a choice to homeschool (for a season), I joined the family gym with the awesome childcare. It was a place filled with all shapes and sizes. (Did I mention that I love to take classes? My high social need continues to propel me into all sorts of group fitness classes). I met some fantastic people at Dales. It was great for a season. Then my kids quit going and the club started feeling less and less homey and I begin to resent the old equipment and mildewy shower. That is when I stepped up my game and made ME a priority.
I joined the snotty club with the day spa and food court included. It is by the far the most glamorous gym I have ever been in. The lockers are made of cherry and have their own locks built in. They provide everything. No more lugging my hairdryer, shampoo or conditioner. It is such a splurge. But with the beauty and majesty of the amazing gym comes the beauty of those that can afford it.

Today while spinning my legs off in my cycling class. I peered around the dimmed room to see all these teeny little butts looking back at me. Of course there is NO way in hades I plop my giant anus in the front row for all the little ladies to stare at. No indeed, I stay in the farthest corner and think to myself "I believe my entire hand is the same size as this little woman's rumpus." It is nuts. I know these gals all have children too. They talk about them. I see them walking to their cars. It is CRAZY>! Today one of the waifs pulled her shirt off in the middle of class I nearly gasped, "dear child, I can see your ribs through your back!!" I almost dove off my bike and began searching through my gym bag for a protein bar or a buck so she could go buy a nibble to hold her over.
Now, the question is...how did Brenda end up in a place like this? Can you hear the song? One of these people doesn't belong here?
My goal in staying at this gym is to really educate the little people. I feel like I add a certain level of motivation for those itsy bitsy folks. I work hard to break the stereo types that thick people can't keep up or full-figured friends don't have the same cardio capacity. I am keeping it real for all those little people.
I will confess that I have told the Lord if he would ever allow me to be a teeny butted woman that I will never take my shirt off and I will always stay in the back row and I will never flaunt my washboard abs and ass of steel. This is my covenant. You can keep me true.

3 comments:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I hear you, sister. Gym life is...interesting. A friend recently looked around her aerobics class and realized that not a single person was any smaller or more toned than when she joined the year before. How sad is that? I blame that on the instructor.

And spin? Seriously - do you have a gel seat because I cannot stand that pointy seat riding up my rear. It's a whole 'nother soreness I'm not used to. I've tried to like cycling and I can't bring myself to do it. Those sweaty, exhausted class participants are an inspiration, but I...I just can't! You go girl.

April said...

I think that is why I hate to exercise. All those little people in the gym intimidate the heck out of me. That and the fact that I really don't like being out of breath and sweaty when I could be home on my couch all comfy watching Seinfeld reruns. I need your motivation.

The Maid said...

Gym schmym.

I am eating my way to a better healthier, more filled out skin.

You know how those skinny little waifs need more botox and have more wrinkles...that is my theory.

I don't want to look like a wrinkled up chain smoker, so I have to sacrifice and hava a big butt. :0 LOL

More power to ya...you work it girl.

The Maid