Friday, May 23, 2008

Mother's day surprises!



I haven't had time to post about the amazing gifts I got for Mother's day. One was this handmade box designed by my darling little ten-year old boy. The teacup and saucer were hand-crafted by my 7 year old daughter. My husband took me to see Wicked and my oldest gave me a card.

The most unique surprise goes to my sweet baby girl who used her heelies to fly down a debris infested hill to land squarely on her face. The ten stitches above the eye really was the gift. I thought she swiped her nose completely off her face the way she tripped over the twig and slid down the blacktop. It was frightening.

Have you done the head wound thing before? If not, think blood, lots of blood. I have seen this in action and so, I was not surprised as I lifted her off the pavement to see her face covered in the red velvet goo. Thankfully, it was only the eyebrow. God clearly grabbed her little face and protected her from complete reconstructive surgery. This I am certain.

Guess I had to put a little space between Mother's day and now to relive the dreadful moment. I think I feel guilty that I enabled the accident. Because she is so skilled on the wheeled shoes, I have never been fearful of an accident. The child is a master. She could totally earn Olympic gold on those silly things. So, I confess when she begged to go up a hill before bedtime, I conceded. Of course, no problem. 15 minutes to the park and back. No worries. In fact, she even had her nightgown on with sweats over it because this outing was to be so short and sweet.

Did I mention my older son was with us? He was propped high on a 8 foot brick column at the foot of the hill his sister ascended. He was the one I originally worried might break his neck. He was the one who had the phone to call dad. He was the one that chimed, "Well, that was a good idea to go down the hill, MOM!"

2 hours, 10 stitches and 100 bucks later...we were back at home. Thanking God for one of those Mother's days that will go down in infamy. The one that years from now will be replayed by the kids as the year mom dragged little sis to the giant hill and forced her to roll down face first into the blacktop. I can hear them now. Happy Mother's Day!









4 comments:

Julie said...

"The most unique surprise goes to my sweet baby girl who used her heelies to fly down a debris infested hill to land squarely on her face."

you're so funny.

and DANG Bailey...she's tough. gotta love mom's day!

thank you for your lengthy and well-supported argument against my mockery of crazy photo parents. I know i'll be the same. The concept is funny to me still, however!

Everytime i read your blog, i make mental notes to remind myself to be like you when i'm older.

love you-

julie

Sarah said...

How long have you had a blog???

Let's be friends here. I hope to see you before I leave in two weeks. Can we make it happen???

April said...

Oh Brenda! Poor little girl! I think the times they are sick and hurt are the hardest for us as mommies. I always say to my kids "I wish it were me instead of you." And then one day my younger son said "I wish it were you too." Little stinker!

The Maid said...

That was a great Mom's day, eh?

Oh yes...we had a coffee table incident...amazing all the blood from a tiny little gash. And as he sat in the ER for an HOUR waiting to be seen, we soaked a dishtowel. A dishtowel people!

We were watching the Lion King on video when it happened and well, all I could think was Hakuna Matata my butt.

The Maid