Thursday, September 11, 2008

Quick note

First up, I do not speak in rhymes often and honestly, I have no explanation for why that last post ended up in a sing song verse. Weird, out of body experience? I am not sure.

Secondly, my daughter informed me as she was eating her off brand yogurt in a tube that it was not very good.

"Mom, this is not good at all. It is made with yogurt NOT GOGURT!"

Okay, so branding is getting the best of my family.

Today is school for me. I am off to learn all about emotional states and attachment theory. It is quite fascinating.

I will confess that currently we are doing mock sessions with a couple of students being the clients and one of us being the therapist.

I suck. If this is any indicator of the things to come I will be a very poor and lonely therapist. I cannot explain how hard it is to listen with intention and thoughtfully try to imagine where both the clients are coming from.

First lesson seems simple...learn to be a L.U.V.E.R
Listen, Understand, Validate, Empathize, Repeat.
Sounds simple, huh?
Try it at home and get back to me. This is so much harder then it sounds.

1 comment:

six300 said...

Brenda,

I completely understand what you're saying about the LUVER strategy. I have found it to be very difficult to completely implement in the work environment, so I definately can see how it would be difficult for someone to utilize in an academic session. However, I am glad that you felt comfortable sharing.