Monday, September 1, 2008

Quick Rant....


Yeah, It isn't nice to finally resurface with a big fat rant but I have to purge my spirit.
Just got my gumption up to chop all my hair off for a cute sassy bob. I know, it is practically out of style by now but I love the way they look. I have secretly wanted that Posh cut for quite a long time now.
The thought of giving up my ponytail for the summer was just unbearable. I am addicted to the ease of yanking it up without any thought. I love that it requires no work, it can be wet, it can be dry. The pony has been faithful. I appreciate that. I just needed a new look.
So, a bob it was! I looked online and found some styles that weren't as drastic as Posh. Still angled a bit but longer and more tolerable for my departure from the pony. So, like any good client, I offered pictures and communicated to the best of my ability how important it was to me to keep the front long. As long as possible and then angle the sides to a shorter back. Not crazy short. Shorter.
My sweet stylist of way too many years pointed out some layering on my sides that may not look good long.
I appreciated the perspective but assured him i wanted to see it long and then slice it back if it did indeed look ridiculous.
So, what did he do?
YES~! He went ahead and cut it off right at my chin. Exactly shorter then I had just requested and then bobbed it pretty much straight across the sides.
As I watched in wonder, my blood began to boil and my hand began to shake. I had just given this man my long locks to work with here. He had plenty of hair to keep it long in front. Yes, it may have looked stupid but who is the ultimate JUDGE...it is ME!!
Oh, this man...whom I have loved for years now...took advantage of his position and gave me a darling mom bob. Yes, it is the simple straight conservative, darling mom bob but I wanted the long front, angled poshish bob. This man just stole my only chance and now what am i supposed to do?
So, as he handed me the mirror to see the sides that showed no angle and looked much like the exact bob I had in 1993, I lost it.
I spat through clenched teeth, "This is NOT longer in front!!"
"Well, you had too many layers, it didn't look good," he replied.
"Who got to decide that?? I have been sitting here the whole time. I asked for longer in FRONT!! I had long hair...there is no angle."
He quickly deduced my frustration and began to repair to the best of his ability. In his haste he cut into the tip of one of his fingers and began explaining how it could not work the other way. He also began soliciting support from the next lucky client to talk me off the ledge.
How is it that something as menial as hair can throw me into a complete frenzy? I wanted to choke the man. Seriously, choke him.
I think there is somehting about him pushing his agenda on my hair. He feels like he knows how I should look and honestly, I believe this is a look he has done on me before. I hate to say it, but we may have to break up. I don't know how to do that because he has been such a faithful stylist for so many years. In fact, he was even asking me that day if I ever had a bad haircut from him.
IRONIC? Well, no.
It is still a good haircut. Just not the one i asked for!!

5 comments:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Oh I LOVE IT. And the color is awesome. But yeah, I'd totally break up with him. You don't have to "do" it...just stop going there. Wipe your hands and be done!

Now I want to go look at my high school photo albums to compare your hair in 1993...from what I remember, this cut is MUCH more Posh!!! And I love the bangs.

XOXOX

April said...

You look GORGEOUS!! It is not a mom-bob. It is chic and stylish. And looks exactly like mine but blonde. Ha!

Mine is a little shorter since I just got it "trimmed" on Saturday. Trimmed apparently meant 4 inches. Now it is right at my chin and I am uncomfortable with it that short, but it will grow. In a month it will be awesome. But I know how you feel!

Rest assured you look beautiful!

The Maid said...

You have a great head of hair...it looks sweet.

Does the man deserve a tip? No.

How nervy is he? What a douchebox...as April would say.

But seriously, do I feel your pain.

I once got a cut from a lady who I showed up for ON TIME, waited 20 minutes cuz she was late...she did my color not by what I wanted, but what she thought would look good, and sat me under the dryer while she cut another persons hair. Then when she washed my hair and began to do the new cut, she rushed through it because her next client was there...she even started to blow dry me and then ran her fingers and some product through my hair and said...it would even look good like that.

WTH?

All that misery because SHE was late...and behind...and still charged me $150.00

UGH!

I hate hair problems.

Sympathizing,
The Maid

Roland Hulme said...

I think the bob looks LOVELY. Very classy.

Judi said...

Do I see a little Suzie in this pic and rant?

We are turning into our mothers!

Love you sister!