Sunday, September 14, 2008

True Confession

So, this week in class we discussed positive and negative sentiment.
We were responsible for identifying someone or something that we have negative sentiment about. This is what prompts my special photo.
I am not always fond of perfect people. I seem to believe that all people who look like Ken and Barbie are full of crap. That they basically have something major they are trying to hide and that they spend most of their energy and resources trying to cover it up by being "perfect."
This attitude of mine is far from therapist-like. I must instead adopt a curiosity and interest in this "perfect" person and come up with questions that would help me be interested in finding out more. I must decide to invest in the process of looking deeper into the heart and person behind the persona.
This is something I have done on occasion. I don't ALWAYS shun and dismiss the pretty people. But if I do get honest and look into my spirit I judge people on sincerity and authenticity. These are values I hold higher then appearance. Unfortunately, there are beautiful, seemingly altogether people who also do have very genuine hearts and sweet outward focused dispositions.
So, part of the challenge for the week is to identify 2 ways to train into change how I relate to this kind of person. (This is one of the assignments for class this week.)
We talk a lot about training vs. trying in class. I love this principle. I think it makes a lot of sense. But thinking practically about training in the area of relational development is tricky. How can I train change in my spirit toward the perfect people?
One thing I can do is take more risks. Approach them more often. Train myself to initiate coffee or some other conversational opportunity to get to know the true person.
I have memorized a verse before that says, "Man looks at outward appearance and God looks at the heart." I can spend more time meditating on that thought and remembering that I only see one dimension of every person. There is much more beneath the surface and I must be willing to be interested in finding it.
I know this won't be an easy exercise but I love that this process is causing me to comb through my own stuff and face my own biases.
If you have any other training ideas for my process, shoot 'em my way. I am open to growth or I wouldn't be doing this.



Disclaimer***I just reread this and I sound like such judgemental bitty. I am trying to be honest. I do not hate people who are gifted in beauty, please don't get me wrong. Some people just air on the "life is always perfect, things never go wrong, I am pretty, my kids are pretty, my house is pretty, Isn't life grand all the time??" This is the person that I am referring to. Either way, it is a sincere confession, not one that I am proud of...I am responsible for unearthing this stuff in class and since this is my authentic life I am dumping it out here for you too.

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

"...there are beautiful, seemingly altogether people who also do have very genuine hearts and sweet outward focused dispositions." (*blush*) I just know you were talking about me here.

It's so hard being disliked for being so perfect and BEAUTIFUL. (*sigh*) If only!

I saw Beth Moore a couple years ago and she sat on the stage (on the ground) talking about how perfect people exhaust her because she can't find anything to talk to them about. Then she laid down like she passed out...I was dying laughing.

XOXOX