Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Training for my future

Being a student in the MSFT program is convicting, eye-opening and challenging on SOOO many levels.
This past week we had to look at ourselves and unravel the pieces of us which might hinder our effectiveness as Marriage and Family Therapists.
I asked my family specifically about some of the areas I need to grow in. I would not suggest doing this unless you are ready for brutal truth.
I heard words that did not surprise me. In fact, I may have planted some of the seeds myself by asking questions about my own behavior which prompted a universal swell of agreement and head nodding. So, here is what we came up with...
I am a bit controlling.
Yeah, all those who know me personally are snickering and nodding. This one is not a big surprise. I do come from a long line of perfectionists. I am a first born. I married a first-born. I like order, routine and predictability. So, I struggle a bit with controlling.
Another area may be my opinions. I tend to give them freely without permission. This is not necessarily always evil but it certainly can be less then helpful at times.
So, I have decided to work on training out some of this in my spirit. I have tried to come up with some guidelines to break me of some of my incessant domineering tendencies.
One of the special curse breaker methods (designed by my family) is to fly the "Napoleon Dynamite dove hands in my direction to cue me of my bossiness/manipulating/controlling behavior. They also thought it would be helpful to say, "Jaberwocky" to me. I am trying to receive this correction with humility and grace but sometimes when a 14yr. old starts flying his hands in your face it sparks up the quick need to dope slap him in the side of the head.
I am pretty sure this is NOT part of the training process. Somehow, I do believe that receiving the correction is half of the training practice. So, I will try to fight the urge to respond in my flesh and allow the dove to motivate me to change.
The opinion thing.....as a mother is not easy to curtail. They (the wee ones) truly need the wealth of information and advice that I have been put here to dole out. So, that one is more designed for my interaction with other adults. My goal is to wait to be asked my thoughts instead of just offering them willy nilly whenever I fell lead. Again, NOT easy.
Funny little sidebar to all this, my theory about my upbringing contributing to my nature....
My mom was in town last week when I had class. She was aware that my class ended late and she knew exactly when I should arrive home. After class, some ladies and I stood around in the parking lot and did a little post-game wrap up of the day. I texted my husband to let him know I was safe but running late. About a half hour later my phone rang. It was NOT my husband looking for me, but my MOTHER!!
"Where are you? Aren't you supposed to be home by now? It is really, late. You should be getting home soon. It is never a good idea to stand around in an empty parking lot. When should I expect you??"
Yes, I am 42 years old and Yes, this is the exact conversation we had when I was 18! It is as if I have never aged.
My friends laughed and I chalked it up to mom not getting trained out of her stuff.
See now why I must do this?? It isn't just for me, but for my kids too!

2 comments:

kbell said...

I hate that I am going to have to watch Napoleon Dynamite again to make sure I have know the signal.
Love the blog. You're doing great.

six300 said...

Brenda,

It sounds like you are definately more upbeat on your classes than when I last read. Your adaptability is an encouragement to all.

FWIW, I'm surprised that you're a bit controlling. I never would have guessed that.