Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Raising a big boy


I am in a stage of parenting that challenges and presses me in many new ways. For instance, my now bushy headed 13 yr. old is starting to gain momentum in asserting his independent spirit.
We began our most recent episode with him staring into my eyes when I began to discipline him. We are almost the exact same height and this is starting to empower him in new and interesting ways. Today he chose to throw a bag of stinky shoes and gym clothes across the room after I nagged him several times to remove them from my kitchen counter.
I caught myself wanting to spank him. It became almost comical since I was trying to seriously communicate how disrespectful his little routine was when he began to smirk. I want to laugh too. He is smart enough to know better. He should be better behaved and more responsible with such a minor task. I think I may have showed him my wedding ring and asked him if he would like to have it meshed into those green-banded braces. He smirked some more and then i threatened to take away his phone. He faked a sober stare and acted minutely remorseful in hopes the threat would not come to pass. I held my position and eye contact just long enough for him to look away first and walk off. Then I sighed a breath of relief that this little battle was won but there are many more to come.....
(Yes, this is an outdated picture since the teeth have been recently banded and decorated in various colored bands!)

No comments: