Friday, March 28, 2008

Yard Sale Chaos

Have you ever done a yard sale before??? How about a church wide yard sale? Multiple the fun times 50!! I tell you, if I never do one again I will die peacefully and without regret.

Talk about your class A nightmare. This is it. Multiple families dropping off bags, suburbans, semi-trucks full of unwanted, discarded stuff and then trying to sort, price and sell this magical miscellaneous mountain of debris is exhausting.

Did I mention this is a youth sponsored event? So, since I am the only one on the youth staff who is over the age of 30 and hosted my own garage sale, I am the designated expert. What's wrong with being the expert??

Oh young padawan.....there is plenty. Expert means many marvelous mysteries in yard sales terms. Expert means when someone opens a bag of plastic cups from 1962 that have been mildewed and corroded with goo you say, "throw it out!" Expert gives permission to price all tupperware items at .25$ a piece. Expert knows how to put all happy meal toys in a box marked a dime. Expert knows that a saavy bunch of over zealous folks with extended-bed trucks are going to show up at least one hour before scheduled time of sale to squeeze in the front door and swipe all the antiques and worthwhile treasures and then bicker over the price. Expert is the bossy woman who knows how to label different tables and encourage hours of sorting and pricing.

Yes, dear ones. I am the "that" expert, the queen of the trash heap, the ruler of recycling. I wore my crown with splendor today. I have the swollen feet, sore back and weary attitude to prove it. Feels a bit like being the Queen of the delivery room. You work hard for a beautiful cause. In this case it is not a precious baby but the labor of love felt much the same as we raised $4,000 for missions.

No comments: